Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Whats been cooking...


As some of you may know, Anna was diagnosed with Celiac Disease on February 1st after months of stomach issues and skin problems. For those of you who are unfamiliar with CD, it is an auto-immune disease where her body can not tolerate gluten (a protein found in wheat, rye, and barley). Instead of processing it, the body turns on itself and destroys the villi in her intestines. So, to be healthy and to keep her intestines running smoothly and absorbing nutrients, she must never eat wheat again (breads, cereals, pastas, and most processed food contain gluten). This has obviously been a big change in her life and in our home. Since going on the diet, Anna has had all of her horrible symptoms go away, and has had an increase in energy. She is quite happy on her gluten free diet (thank goodness!). We are so grateful to have answers finally!


Getting closer to meeting our new little one. Here I am at 32 weeks.


This is me, obviously bigger, at 34 weeks.

12 comments:

The Higgins Family said...

so glad Anna's doing better and y'all are adjusting! That is a major major challenge-- thank goodness for the obvious good difference it's making to make the massive effort worthwhile.

And how cute are you, my fellow pregnant friend! :) Gosh, only a month left? YES!

Susan said...

looking SO good Amber! It was fun to see you at the library this morning -Enjoy your time at the Children's museum... we definitely earned those culture passes!!

Machelle said...

Wow, I am so glad Anna is doing better. I was just reading up on that this morning. I will be interested to know how you adjusted the diet and how that fits in with the rest of the family diet. You are a good mom and you look great!!!

Machelle said...

BTW, (not to hog your blog comments, lol) but there is a great blog called "A Year Of Slow Cooking." She has adjusted all of her recipes to be gluten free. After reading her blog I wanted to know what Celiac Disease was.

Tara said...

Wow, I'm glad you got that figured out. Poor thing. I had some delicious gluten free chocolate cake from Costco the other day the was to die for.......and my Mom goes to this gluten free bakery that everything they make is gluten free, you should ask her about it.

By the way, that is what I look like when I'm about 20 weeks......so forgive me if I don't like you right now :)

Liora said...

I am so glad you posted!! YAY!! You are such a cute pregnant lady! Glad Anna is doing better - miss you guys!

Brianne said...

I'm so glad that you have found the problem with Anna's gluten intolerance. She will for sure be so much more comfortable! More work for you but less time with discomfort so it's worth it right? :) Also you look so adorable!!

Liz said...

Looking Awesome girl! You are the best lookin' pregnant mama around!

tessa said...

Cutest pregnant girl ever! Love you in green.

Mindy said...

You look so cute! I'm 34 weeks right now too and way bigger! :)
That must be tough having to fix gluten free food. My nephew is on a strict diet as well. I feel bad when he can't eat all the good food we are eating. But it keeps him healthy and happy.

Erica said...

I'm so glad Anna is doing better :) And you look amazing, seriously you do not look 34 weeks.

The Snead Family said...

gosh- so glad to hear that Anna is doing better since you have changed her diet- must be so hard- hope things are going well:) and didnt know your prego!!! I LOVE IT- maybe i did...but man you are one pretty prego lady. i love that you have a big family. love it.you look so happy:)

About Me

My photo
Phoenix, Arizona
I am a stay at home mom of 4 beautiful, energetic children. Anna is 6, Hallie is 5, Linc is 3 and Port is our newest addition. Randy and I have been married for 8 years and love every minute that we get together.